The average American touches their phone 2,600 times a day, heavy users can double that (according to this article), if you would like to read more on how industries are built to catch your attention, discover how your attention drives a certain economy and who is falling for it, read this: How the World was Trolled
What to do about reclaiming your mind?
- try putting your phone down
- leave your phone home when you step out (start with short neighborhood trips, then extend it)
- cease answering work emails from your phone after a certain hour (instead log onto a specific device to attend to work issues like a tablet, desktop or laptop)
- turn off alerts, keep only a few essential ones
- change your screen to black and white
- use a good old fashioned clock to wake you up in the morning (can be the most difficult change for some to make!)